Friday, February 10, 2012

Sing You Home

by Jodi Piccoult.

What a horrible book to read when you're pregnant, at least the beginning. I don't want to give much away but the beginning is HARD to read. The basic premise of the book deals with infertility, and then later religion and alternative lifestyles (lesbian).

Honestly, parts of the book were hard to listen to, I think the author did an amazing job being as objective as she could but it's hard for me to listen to someone's point of view that is so closed minded. The religious parts were not bad, it's the hatred that underlies it that were hard for me to stomach.

In general though the book was great as usual and while I think the ending was kind of 'convenient', it was heart warming. While not a surprise, the characters acted more quickly than i would have thought based on the rest of the book so it didn't seem too realistic to me.

All in all I'm very glad I read it, even with the beginning being hard to get through. I really liked the song tracks at the start of each chapter and the very first song is SO touching as it's sung to her unborn child and brings tears to my eyes whenever I listen to it now!

No comments: