Friday, March 23, 2012

Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire book 1)

by George R.R. Martin.

Okay this will be followed up later when I actually finish this book but I have much to say and I'm going to be putting it aside for just a bit to read the Hunger Games series so I thought I'd write this for now.

This series is epic and intense - think lord of the rings EXCEPT you don't get a core of characters to follow through an adventure. Characters you grow to like die, characters you hate you may start to like later, characters surprise you. This is much more real life - there is no hero, the strong/smart succeed unless they are unlucky or outnumbered. There is intrigue for sure.

I had a really hard time getting into the book at first because there is so much to learn about the new world and it switches between characters each chapter. Until you get to know the characters this can be confusing (I have no issues now).

There are parallel and intertwined stories going on and it's called Game of Thrones for a reason - the kingdom is in peril (it's only newly won anyhow). You really don't 'root' for anyone either, you just follow the story as it plays out - very different than any other book i've read but I'm definitely enjoying it.

So I would recommend this but it's not light reading. I am looking forward to continuing it but will probably take breaks here and there because it's so long. Hopefully soon i'm on here saying i finished at least the first of the 4 books!

No comments: