Friday, August 7, 2009

Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Whimsey book 3)

by Dorothy Sayers.

This was the best in the series as far as characters go, the slowest in the series as far as the mystery goes but all in all very enjoyable! I love the analyzing Harriet did of her relationship with Peter, finally we learn what really has happened in the last few years and we learn more about her feelings. Plus a new interesting character (Peter's nephew) joins us and he's is lots of fun.

While parts were hard for me to follow (for example the Warden - when she was addressed by her name I wouldn't realize it was the same person - same goes for the Bursar and Dean) but I'm not good with names anyway and they weren't really suspects by the middle of the book making that easier.

The mystery really had me going until the very end - while slow going it was very well done. The slowness was really brought on by the surroundings of the mystery, it took place over a couple of terms so that alone made it slow.

I can't wait to watch the tv series and then read the 4th book in the Peter/Harriet series!

No comments: