Monday, June 2, 2008

Sweet and Deadly

by Charlaine Harris.

This was a very good mystery, light on the romance which was just fine with me. The mystery I thought was really good. My mom complained that some of Charlaine Harris' early work is a bit dated, there's a lot of stuff about racial tension in her early work which is strange to me, growing up in the Northeast, there just weren't any racial issues. So it's strange to have it be such a major part of some of her work.

For example in the Lily Bard series one of the white women is dating a black man at some point and this is scandalous - how bizaar, just a non-issue in my current life, i never would have even noticed it so it's kind of disconcerting to read about it like that. Hopefully this is because these are both dated and set in the south maybe.

No comments: