Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

by Kim Edwards

This was not at all what I thought it was when I picked it up - it was very good though. It caused a lot of turmoil in my sleeping hours because I read before bed most nights. This book is about a doctor who in the sixties, delivers his wife's twins. The female twin has Down Syndrome so he sends her away with his nurse to a home. The nurse can not leave her and takes her and raises her as her own. He tells his wife that their daughter died. This secret he keeps and it builds a wall around him, between him and his family.

I think the hardest person for me to relate to in this book was the wife unfortunately, I hated the way she dealt with the distance in her marriage. I of course did not like the father for sending his daughter away but at least i could understand his reasons (they were described) - i didn't get this with the mother, maybe i just didn't feel like i knew her well enough to relate to her decisions.

All in all the book was very good and I enjoyed reading it up until the end. It was not a page turner and took a while to get through. I also realized while reading this that the bad dreams I have directly related to what I was reading - so it's back to happy, romantic murder mysteries for me for now.

Charlaine Harris - Aurora Teagarden series here I come - books 4,5,6 are waiting for me!

No comments: