Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Burning Lamp (Dreamlight Trilogy book 2)

by Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz).

And 10 months later I finally purchase the second book (in audio format because i don't like hardcovers and the kindle never dropped below 10dollars) but this book technically comes before the first one.

Well it wasn't my favorite - which is a bummer because I love Amanda Quick books generally. I thought the first half lacked character development, too much of it was giving this history of the Jones family and the Winters family so you didn't get to know the characters well. The romance just sort of happened with no build up. The second half of the book was much better, containing some mystery and danger and some characters from previous books which was nice.

Part of my problem may have been the reader of the audiobook, she was breathless/throaty and it was hard to feel like the characters were normal people because of it. So hard to relate in general and definitely not my favorite. Arcane started out as my favorite of JAK's books but I think i like her standalone AQ books best now because she doesn't have to waste time explaining the history of the Arcane Society.

I am really looking forward to the midnight crystal however (the third in this series) which is a jayne castle!

No comments: