Monday, September 24, 2007

We Need to Talk about Kevin

by Lionel Shriver.

Finished Sunday morning. Well let's see - it was a good book, I'm glad I read it. The author pulled out the thesaurus a bit too much for my taste and a lot of the passages rambled on, but I tend to just glaze past that kind of thing (my fiance who also read this complains about that a bit more).

The story was a good one, with the almost constant school shootings of the 90's (probably still going on but I was in school at that time so it was closer to home) it brought a real perspective to things. I thought the end was very well done, predictable (more so by my fiance again) but well done. It is not a book to read if you want to sympathize with someone, I basically disliked/almost hated both parents and can't feel much sympathy for the boy either but I'm glad I read it (almost a "what not to do" type book).

I haven't decided what to read next, I have a nice new pile of books by my bedside after a run to Borders this weekend - lots of discount and on sale books! I can't wait to pick!

No comments: